Questions to Ask Addiction Treatment Centers
1. Is your center 12-Step (AA/NA) based?
2. Do you treat co-occurring disorders and/or trauma? What is the process for approaching mental illness that has not been diagnosed prior to treatment?
3. If a mental health issue is diagnosed, is there proper psychiatric care to prescribe and oversee medication? Does the psychiatrist communicate directly with the family?
4. Do you have detox on site? Do you administer medications during detox?
5. How soon can we expect communication from our loved one and from his/her assigned counselor?
6. How does the facility handle clients who want to leave early, AMA (Against Medical Advice)?
7. What are your discharge protocols for behavioral issues? Is the family contacted? Where does the client go and how do they get there?
8. Do you ask him/her to sign a release of information for the family?
9. What is your policy on cell phones/ipads/laptops?
10. How many times a week will he/she see their counselor for individual sessions?
11. Would you be able to hold a bed for a short period of time if you knew an intervention is taking place?
12. Is your center certified/accredited?
CARF? CARF is the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. It is an international, not-for-profit organization that promotes quality rehabilitation services by establishing standards for quality and surveying those organizations to assure the standards are being met.
JCAHO? The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations is a private, not for profit organization established in 1951 to evaluate health care organizations that voluntarily seek accreditation. The Joint Commission evaluates and accredits more than 16,000 health care organizations in the United States, including 4,400 hospitals, more than 3,900 home care entities, and over 7,000 other health care organizations that provide behavioral health care, laboratory, ambulatory care, and long-term care services.
13. How is money handled for shopping/toiletries?
14. What is the smoking policy?
15. What activities do they participate in? How much free time/leisure time do they get and can they leave the facility for their free time?